Saturday, January 20, 2007

So who is this Mr Perfect?


As women get older, the criteria gets higher (or is it deeper?). In high-school it truly was all about who was the cutest guy. Personality didn’t quite count that much save for the fact that he had to be coool.


In the early 20s, with a bit of adolescence left over, it essentially was quite the same but with a bit more flavour. He needed to be romantic, caring, funny, and sensitive (but not pansy sensitive).


Fast-forward seven years later, and here I am in my 27th year. Floppy soft hair and puppy dog eyes have been overridden by the need for security. Popularity has been taken over by similar values. And even romance takes back seat to the ‘can I trust him with my life and eventually kids?’ factor.


It’s funny how the world works in such odd yet perfect ways. For all the guys in school that were never given a second glance, suddenly with all their drive in work, good job to match, nice home security, and mostly- a plan in life – these guys are the ones who are in demand now.


A friend of mine was pointing this see-saw approach to the difference between the female and male gender as well recently. In high school, girls are the ones getting all the attention with the guys clambering all over them like lost puppy dogs, hoping to score with at least one chick once during their school years so they can keep their reputation. In the working world, the balance begins to shift. Guys go up in demand, women get scared that their stock is falling to the younger females, and the power of being begins to shift.


But I digress. So who is Mr Perfect? I’ve been watching a lot of Sex & The City recently. Not a very good measure for advise I know, but somehow, as I grudgingly make my way into my late 20s and early 30s, I’m somewhat comforted by the thought of four successful women who still don’t quite have all the answers. I guess the real question is, will I end up a Miranda, Carrie, Samantha or Charlotte?


2 comments:

Bottie Bots said...

Hmm.. What a title for a blog! An entire blog dedicated to the ultimate question of "Who should I marry?" Unfortunately for us women, the idea of the "perfect guy" has been fantasied about since we were yea high. Once the perfect guy was a prince that rode on a horse to a pop star look-a-like to a successful loving man with a wining personality. In our search for the perfect man, some of us may have overlooked a few potential partners in life. Coming out of a 3.5 year relationship, in a now early 30s age (the new 20s)I can truly say that "Mr Perfect" is just a figment of my imagination. But one can still hope for my knight in shiny new convertible to come and sweep me off my feet! hahaha.

Anonymous said...

hey gal,

its definitely an eye-catching title for a blog..hehe! My 2 cents (aussie cents so that would make it roughly around 5.5 cents RM :P) is that you should marry the person that makes you feel you can go through life's ups and downs with and that you have an amazing connection with...and if he's got a great sense of humour - its a bonus!! take care!!

~HUGZ~